Nothing to Declare
In 2017 we completed our second short film, Nothing to Declare. A collaboration between two Scottish animation studios, Interference Pattern carried out all of the look development and 3d asset production followed by production of the complete visual 3d process from scene assembly and lighting, rendering, compositing all the way through to final grade.
Written by comic artist Frank Quitely, directed by Will Adams of Once Were Farmers, art and technical directed by Interference Pattern’s creative director, Tom Bryant and produced by Mal Young of Studio Temba and in association with the Scottish Film Talent Network.
As Art and Technical Director on the film, our creative director, Tom Bryant was involved throughout the film’s development process, working to define the visual style of the film. The process was one of a continued balance of the achievable, within the extreme constraints of working within a short film budget, against the desire to push the visuals as far as possible.
The film was selected by the UK’s ambassadors to represent the UK as it’s short film entry to the 2017 European Animation Awards (EMILE Awards).
The film has been screened globally at the following film festivals:
- Premiered at the 2017 Edinburgh International Film Festival 2017. In competition for The Award for Best Short Film and also The McLaren Award for Best New British Animation.
- 23rd Encounters Short Film Festival in Bristol
- 2017 Manchester Animation Festival
- 2017 Uppsala International Film Festival
- 2017 Inverness Film Festival
- 2017 Fredrikstad Animation Festival
- 2017 Ravenna Nightmare Film Festival
- 2018 Berlin Lichtspieklub Short Film festival
- 2018 Glasgow Short Film Festival
- 2018 Zagreb – World Festival of Animated Films
- 2018 13th Anim’est International Animation festival