Interference Pattern are hiring.
Do you want to come and work at a vibrant and passionate animation studio, based in the beautiful city of Edinburgh? If the answer is yes, then check out our current job openings below.
…about Interference Pattern
We are a small and perfectly formed animation studio based in Edinburgh with a diverse and interesting range of projects in the pipeline, from documentary features to original shorts, working in 2d, 3d and vfx.
Edinburgh is the beautiful, historic and vibrant capital city of Scotland. With a blossoming creative arts scene and great access to the rest of Scotland it offers the best of both city living and the great outdoors.
We are looking for a part-time systems administrator for our studio. This role has up until now been covered by the current studio staff but we are looking to employ a dedicated administrator, initially on a part-time basis but with the potential for full time employment as the studio grows. Given the part time nature of the initial role we are happy to work with the successful applicant to find a working pattern that works for all parties.
- Managing our Windows based local network and Synology storage servers
- currently ~ 20 workstations and 30 render nodes
- Identify and remediate storage (SAN/NAS) or network bottlenecks
- Installation, configuration, administration and troubleshooting the studio’s file servers and individual workstation computers and render farm
- Management and deployment of software licenses and subscriptions
- Managing our backup schedules and checking all backups are completed
- Monitoring and troubleshooting our renderfarm
- Repair and upgrade computer hardware as required. Including adding CPU’s, RAM, swapping broken components
- Planning for systems upgrades and the future technology and infrastructure roadmap of the studio
- Experience configuring, maintaining and repairing computer hardware
- Ability to challenge existing ideas
- Organised and detail-orientated
- Good networking skills including knowledge of network troubleshooting techniques
- Firewall and network security
- File server management, Synology NAS & SAN
- Familiarity with or network administration within, a high bandwidth-requirement network environments, where fast transfer speeds and large file transfer are the norm, a plus
- Knowledge of common post production software and hardware, a plus
- Knowledge of a CGI or VFX pipeline, a plus
- Knowledge of Active Directory domain and user management
- Knowledge of command line administration and scripting (Python etc), a plus
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and references to email@example.com
Houdini Lighting Artist
Interference Pattern are recruiting for a full-time Houdini Lighting Artist.
We are looking for a Houdini Artist to take a lead lighting role on projects. An ideal candidate would also be skilled in Nuke (or similar compositing package).
The role requires a broad knowledge and experience of the entire 3D Pipeline, with a focus on producing polished lit shots. We appreciate that potential candidates may have varying levels of experience; we are primarily looking a proven track record in turning out great looking work using Houdini and a candidate who can demonstrate a strong sense of visual aesthetics.
- Responsible for final Houdini 3D scene assembly and output, including Digital Asset creation, setting up lighting and rendering final outputs.
- Working closely with a project’s creative team, directors and clients to define the best approach and execution for projects.
- Optimize and troubleshoot lighting and rendering problems.
- Additionally candidates may be asked to work on compositing final shots dependant on experience.
- Shading/texturing work as and when required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of Houdini within a production environment.
- Strong understanding of multi pass 3D rendering and compositing.
- Strong understanding of lighting/shading/texturing principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of rendering techniques and optimization processes to minimise render times.
- Ability to work within a style established by the Client / Creative lead.
- Experience with Nuke or similar compositing package (eg Fusion).
- Programming or scripting skills would be beneficial, but not essential.
- Ability to problem solve and predict potential problems.
- Strong communication skills are critical. Artist must be able to work within a team, taking direction and exercising attention to detail.
- Solid work ethic and a positive attitude in the face of challenges
- Strong time management skills and organization.
- Minimum of 3 years production experience and a degree qualification required.
- If candidates do not possess a degree, 5 years production experience required.
- Degree and work experience requirements may be waived if candidates can show exceptional skills.
- Currently be able to work in the UK.
- Able to be located on-site in Edinburgh.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and links to an online showreel or portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
3D Modelers and Texture Artists
Interference Pattern is looking for experienced freelance 3d modelers and texture artists for short term contracts, on an ongoing basis. Ideally the candidates should have examples of both hard-surface and subdivision surface environment and prop modelling in their portfolio. Character and organic modelling skills a plus. Applications from skilled generalists with a particular flair for modelling will be welcome. We welcome applications from artists wishing to work both on-site in studio and also from those wishing to work remotely (a strong supporting portfolio required).
- accurate modelling and texturing environment and character assets from 2d concept design artwork
- hard surface environment and prop modelling
- organic character modelling and sculpting
- ability to work to different styles ranging from realistic through to heavily stylized
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and links to an up to date showreel or portfolio to email@example.com
We don’t have any other specific vacancies at present, but we are always on the lookout for talented 3d generalist artists, modelers, animators and compositors to join us here at Interference Pattern. If you’d like to submit your showreels or portfolios for consideration, please forwards them to info at interferencepattern dot com